Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Red Hot Chile Peppers!

So--- for all of you that didn't know yet--- I'm going on a mission!! For an exciting, interactive post about my call, go to my sister, Cheryl's Blog:

http://gobishopgo.blogspot.com/

So, here's the schpeil. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. So are about 80% of the rest of Utahns. It's kinda crazy, being such a majority in a place. But ANYHOW... When I was little, in South Gate, California, I was /not/ in the majority in any way. I was a white mormon girl in a predominantly Hispanic Catholic area. I grew up wishing I could do the hat dance and that I could have a Quincenera when I was Fifteen. I'm not sure if I spelled it right, but that's where I was when I first found out about sister missionaries.

I don't think I really thought that girls were DISallowed to go on missions, I'd just never seen a Sister Missionary. The first sister I remember was an Australian sister in our ward there in Southern California. Pretty much from the time I knew girls could go, I decided I wanted to go on a mission.

The next time I really remember thinking about it was when my family and I drove to Nauvoo, IL. At the Visitor's Center at Carthage Jail, we met some absolutely amazing Sister Missionaries. One was from my hometown, and she asked if I had ever thought of going on a mission. Of course I had! I told her so, and I just remember how excited she was and how much I wanted to be like her one day.

Fastfoward to my Freshman year in college at Southern Utah University. In the dorms there, I met great friends, both guys and gals. The predominant feeling towards sister missionaries that year, as well as most of my college experience, was that sister missionaries were AMAZING, but were in general rare occurances. Most girls had a significant romantic interest by 21, and therefore, I would definately be married before I turned the magical number 21. I tried not to let them get to me, but before I knew it, I was expecting Prince/Elder Charming to come waltizing (Oooh, I love waltzing) into my life and to sweep me magically away from my mission before the last petal fell. Or else I would remain a beast for all time. Er.. Um... Wrong story. Oh well.

The point being, about a year ago three or four very important things happened:

#1. My high school crush came home from his mission. See, I'd had this magic plan in high school, too, that I might marry him when he got back, or go on a mission. Though my heels were no longer over my head... well, at least not on Mr. Garner's account... I recognized that this meant HE was 21, and that in a year, I would be too. (His birthday is the same day, one year before mine)

#2. Several of my girlfriends started filling out their papers. These were beautiful, spiritual women I looked up to and admired. They were not socially backward or ugly. They did not need romance in their lives. They were strong.

#3. I was interviewed for a reccomend to do baptisms at the temple. My interviewer asked if I was planning on going... and I told him a year was a long time. I realized how weak it was of me to still be waiting for that magic... and that going on a mission couldn't possibly make Prince/Elder Charming want/need me any less anyways...

So, I took Mission Prep. I put school on hold. I came home and started filling out my papers.

It was hard at first, being away from my closest friends in Cedar. I still feel sad every time I think about how I never see or talk to some of the people who mean the most to me, but I TURNED MY MISSION PAPERS IN.

Last Thursday was horrible. I checked the mailbox SIX TIMES before my papers finally came... and then I had to wait.
And wait.
Mom came home.
Michelle came home.
Cheryl, Ryan, and Ashby came over.
FINALLY, Dad came home.

I opened the large white envelope. For HOURS I'd been avoiding even glancing at the thing, and now as I opened it, my eyes slid automatically to the word, "Chile." I took French in High School, and thought for sure I'd be able to put it to some use on a mission for the church... but alas, no!

I was called, by word of God, to the Chile Concepcion South Mission. Spanish Speaking, I'm sure. Only... I seemed to have skipped over that part. lol.

I am so excited to finally serve the Lord with TRULY all my might, mind, heart, and Strength. I can't wait to serve the people of Chile, and I am truly terrified to do it, but as was said in this weekend's conference,

"[I] may not know everything, but [I] know enough."

Thanks everyone for all your support...

...and to all those who thought I'd be married, feel free to give Mr/Elder Right my mailing address when I get it to you. ;) HE can just wait. I had to, after all.

Just Kidding.

2 comments:

Dani said...

All I can say is YAY AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky said...

Amy... I love you... have I told you that lately? I love that you talk about the "magic age of 21" - it's so true! Growing up I always thought that I'd be married by the time I turned 21 and now... here I am halfway to 22 with no prospects - ah the irony of life! ;-) Can I just say how excited I am for you? I can hardly contain it! You're gonna be SUCH an amazing missionary!!!